Work Rituals for a Stress-Free Day
Once you begin to prioritize your own wellness, beauty radiates from within.
I haven’t always been a beauty and wellness writer. In fact, less than a decade ago, I was sharply dressed in crisp Theory suits and hustling through the subway stations in stilettos. Wall Street was my home for 7 years before I made a leap of faith and moved to Los Angeles to found my own beauty company, Ajai Alchemy, and offer Thyroid Yoga training sessions and retreats. Where I currently live in Nosara, Costa Rica, cubicle walls are a very distant memory. In fact, in my new house, where I currently sit writing articles and designing websites for wellness entrepreneurs, I am surrounded by fresh air and jungle greens on all sides as the breeze caresses my sun-kissed face.
Many of us think that we don’t have time in our day to focus on our well-being, which is why small daily actions can be the best place to start.
When it comes to work life, many of us are interested in balance. Tools for stress are becoming very relevant and the truth is, how we take care of ourselves has an impact on how we live our personal and professional lives. Many of us think that we don’t have time in our day to focus on our well-being, which is why small daily actions can be the best place to start. There are tools and techniques that you can fit into your day that will help you feel good long term.
When my friend Tanya Windman, founder of Communitas, lived in New York City working for advertising agencies on beauty and fashion accounts, balance and harmony were not in her vocabulary. It wasn’t until she had run herself ragged that she realized something needed to shift in a major way. It was a very similar story for me – I fainted in the crowded subway, almost trampled by commuters, and somehow made it outside a Duane Reade where a kind soul called an ambulance for me. Hitting rock bottom was the catalyst for both Tanya and me to wake up.
Our adrenals were fatigued. Tanya recalls that she had been experiencing major anxiety for a few years. Yoga was the first tool to help us both manage stress and take a step towards well being. We needed a plan to transform our reactive, tired energy to a calm and creative one. This goal led us both into the health and wellness community, where developing present moment awareness and connection to community became lifelong tools.
It’s all about cultivating an individual set of tools that are simple and available at all times. Once you begin to prioritize your own wellness, beauty radiates from within. Your complexion is better, and you develop an deep inner smile feel more confident in your own skin.
With increased self-awareness, you’re more equipped to manage others, navigate workplace challenges, combat occupational stress and make decisions based on a willingness to be more curious and receptive to the new and unexpected.
This is what led Tanya to begin offering holistic wellness programs to employees of small and large corporations. Short 3 minute stretches, breathing and mindfulness meditations, simple healthy eating habits, and easy beauty and fashion practices will keep you looking and feeling your best throughout your workday and into your personal life.
Tanya has been developing a unique mindfulness@work program, which is focused around defining your purpose at work and to learning to communicate with your self, your thoughts, feelings and behavior as a way to strengthen focus, clarity and creativity on the job. With increased self-awareness, you’re more equipped to manage others, navigate workplace challenges, combat occupational stress and make decisions based on a willingness to be more curious and receptive to the new and unexpected.
Here are a few techniques from the beauty, herself:
- Take a few minutes in the beginning of your day to close your eyes and follow your breath. Notice your thoughts and relax your body. Repeating this throughout the day can help bring you back, so that you are less reactive and in a better place to make decisions.
- Try this five minute guided meditation, “Take Five,” to help keep relaxed, present, and more radiant throughout the day. Make your meditation about you, slowing down and enjoying your favorite tea or elixir, massaging your hands with your favorite lotion, or burning your favorite lavender candle.
- Keep a collection of your favorite healthy snacks in your office fridge – if you need help coming up with snack ideas, there are a ton of amazing health bloggers that you can go to for inspiration, like @fitgirltreats and @hannah.guthman!
- Practice a gratitude exercise by thinking of one thing you are grateful for about a co-worker or stranger and find a way to express that to them. This will make those around you to feel happy to be around you and better people as a result. Having a positive impact on just one person has a domino affect.
- Bring tools to refresh your look – a different shade of lipstick, bronzer, mascara, a fresh fragrance or essential oil, can work magic before heading from the office to dinner or an event. Add a statement necklace or pair of earrings and change a change of shoes and you’re good to go.
Illustration by Blue Logan
Fern Olivia is the founder of Thyroid Yoga® and Ajai Alchemy.
Combining her education in Biomedical Engineering with her studies in yoga and integrative nutrition, Fern Olivia has created Thyroid Yoga®, a unique approach to supporting thyroid health.
In addition to teaching, retreats, events, and speaking on the topics of holistic health and self-expression, her course is a best-seller on MindBodyGreen and she trains wellness leaders and practitioners in her Thyroid Yoga® training, now available internationally. Fern Olivia is also the founder of Ajai Alchemy, an all organic essential oil fragrance brand specifically formulated with synergistic hormone balancing and aphrodisiac benefits.
Through her authentic storytelling, media platforms, and new TV show, Sensual Intelligence, Fern Olivia has inspired a mass movement of conscious self-expression and holistic health.