Raw Vegan Sushi
- 2 cups sunflower seeds or almonds, soaked for 2-4 hours
- 1 bunch spring onions
- A few leaves of iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup coriander
- ½ lemon
- 4 Tbsp. coconut aminos/soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 sheets nori, cut in half
- 2 cucumbers cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups mixed sprouts (lentil, pea, alfalfa for example)
- 1 mango, sliced
- 2 carrots, spiralized
- Optional ½ cup edible flowers asparagus
- In a food processor, combine the sunflower seeds with the coconut aminos/soy sauce, with 2-4 spring onions, coriander, garlic and a few splashes of water.
- Squeeze in the lemon and blend, adding more water as needed till you reach a pleasing texture.
- Because we’re not working with rice for this recipe, we need to give the nori some structure so it doesn’t fall apart when you lift it up. So place a sheet of nori on your workspace and then fit a lettuce leaf inside it.
- Spread some sunflower seed paste on it.
- Add in your choice of filling, placing it about 1 inch from the long edge of the nori. I like to use spiralized carrots, avocado, sprouts, mango and asparagus.
- Fold the sheet over the filling and at an angle.
- Tightly roll, away from you.
- Moisten the edge of the nori and seal.
- Serve with more coconut aminos if desired.