Seed + Mill, founded by Monica Molenaar, Rachel Simons, and Lisa Mendelson, is a gourmet tahini shop and company. They feature a select menu of sesame products including but not limited to artisanal halva, spice blends, freshly milled tahini, tahini ice creams, and cakes.
Sesame seed is a powerful anti-inflammatory, rich in protein, iron, calcium, and other skin and metabolism-enhancing nutrients.
“The sesame seeds in tahini are a natural superfood, adding vital nutrients like calcium, protein, magnesium, vitamin B to our diet. So, it is almost a guilt free way of indulging in a treat!” Seed + Mill Co-founder, Rachel Simons, encourages customers to experiment with the superfood, “Tahini is so much more versatile than people realize. It isn’t just for making hummus or drizzling over falafel anymore.” Sesame seed is a powerful anti-inflammatory, rich in protein, iron, calcium, and other skin and metabolism-enhancing nutrients.
Tahini is a wonderful substitute for dairy products, giving the same creamy texture, but adding a complex nutty flavor at the same time.
Seed + Mill’s dedication to creating quality artisanal sesame seed products is an inspired journey that begins in the kitchen, “We love nothing more than seeing people use it in more adventurous or surprising ways: tahini cookies, tahini frosting for cupcakes, chocolate tahini truffles, in smoothies, and all sorts of other sweet applications.
“Tahini is a wonderful substitute for dairy products, giving the same creamy texture, but adding a complex nutty flavor at the same time. We spend a lot of time in our kitchens playing around with tahini to see what we can make. The other day, we made a dairy free frangipane by substituting tahini for butter, which was incredible!”
Tahini roasted chickpeas
Tahini adds depth of flavor and nutrition to these addictively delicious roasted chickpeas
- 3 tbs Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
- 1 garlic head (sliced in half)
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 handful fresh rosemary
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Pat chickpeas dry with a paper towel.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spread chickpeas on parchment paper on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown (approx. 30 min).
Sweet Potato Latkes with Lemon Tahini Sauce & Avocado Salsa
A clean, healthy, and nutritious tahini dish.
Ingredients for the latkes:
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- salt + pepper to taste (use about 5 large pinches of salt)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour oil, for frying
Ingredients for the lemon tahini sauce:
- ½ cup Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice salt + pepper to taste
- a pinch of fresh dill
Ingredients for the avocado salsa:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 shallot
- ½ cup cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 5 tbs olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Shred the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onion using a food processor or mandolin.
- Add salt and squeeze out as much moisture as you can by pouring them into a cheese cloth and squeezing over the sink.
- Place in a large bowl; add pepper, lemon juice, egg whites, and flour. Mix well.
- Heat about 1/4″ of oil in a large pan over medium high heat, and then scoop spoonfuls of mixture – we use an ice cream scoop- into the pan. Flatten a bit with a spatula, and brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and pat off excess oil with paper towels.
For the tahini sauce:
- Whisk the tahini, water and lemon juice together into a smooth sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To make the avocado salsa:
- Slice avocado and shallot into cubes and gently combine with all other ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top the latkes with the tahini sauce and dill. Serve with avocado salsa on the side.
Matcha-Dusted Halva Bites
Only four ingredients, no bake, no fuss – vegan, gluten-free and nutritious
- 2 cups melted 70% dark chocolate
- 1 cup Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
- 1 cup chopped vegan halva
- matcha powder for dusting
- Mix the melted chocolate and tahini and pour into lined loaf tin.
- Drop in chopped halva so it sinks to the bottom.
- Place in fridge until firm.
- Chop into squares and dust with matcha.
Will last weeks in the fridge!
These Seed + Mill x BWB exclusive sesame seed recipes make the perfect superfood picnic for lasting energy with ingredients you can feel good about, from mill to plate.
Taylor is a recent honors graduate of Rhode Island School of Design’s Painting and Art History Department. A dual-citizen in Belgium and the U.S. with frequent wanderlust, a passion for editorial, and an affinity for sketching, she is now exploring the connection between art and beauty.