Green & Glam Granolove Parfait
Guest chef Daphne Cheng and Rebecca Leffler share with us their latest summer recipe! the Green & Glam Granolove Parfait.
A simple, but elegreen recipe
Parfait is literally the French word for “perfect” and this mélange of flavors, textures and colors is as close to perfection as desserts or breakfasts (or desserts for breakfast!).
Serve in a wine or champagne glass if you’re feeling fancy or are hosting a soirée, or opt for a more simple, but elegant version for more casual affairs (wearing your pajamas at your breakfast table for instance).
Eating is just like getting dressed – start with the basics (almond milk: your little black dress, granola: your favorite pair of jeans…) then accessorize!
You can dress this parfait up or keep things casual. Strike a pose and get your refrigerator runway ready for this Springsational sundae!
It will be granolove at first bite, we promise!
Granola au naturel:
(this will make around 4 – 8 servings so you can share with friends or have on hand to make a parfait for a few days!)
- 1 ½ cups of rolled oats (gluten-free optional. You can also sub all or some of the oats with quinoa flakes)
- ½ cup of raw buckwheat groats
- 1 Tbs of coconut oil, liquid
- 2 Tbs of maple syrup
- 1 HUGE banana (or two small ones)
- ¼ cup each of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbs of raisins
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder (+ more to taste if you like it very cinnamon-y!)
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- ½ tsp of ginger powder A pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
Optional: cloves, cardamom, nutmeg
Optional: 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
Chic Coconut crème:
- ¼ cup of coconut meat
- 1/2 cup of coconut water
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
“Back to basics” Banana crème:
- 1 large banana
- ½ cup of seasonal fruit, preferably fresh berries
For the granola:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix.
- Place on oven tray and bake for around 20 minutes, then turn with a spatula and continue to cook for around 5-10 minutes or until golden brown (but not burned!)
- Remove from oven and let it chill. (You do the same!)
- Mash banana with a fork to form a purée.
- Blend all coconut yogurt ingredients in a Vitamix or high-speed blender until smooth an creamy. Feel free to add more liquid if you like a thinner yogurt.
- In a bowl or glass jar or wine glass (fancy!) add a few spoonfuls of coconut yogurt.
- Top with banana crème, then granola, then fruit.
- Repeat !
To dress up your parfait in haute couture, add one or all of these unique, yet simple ways to glam it up :
Beautiful Balsamic Raspberries
1 pint fresh raspberries
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
A pinch of salt
Toss raspberries in vinegar and salt.
Haute Hazelnuts (Chai Candied Hazelnuts)
1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp each of cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, clove, ginger
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp water
¼ tsp salt
Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a bowl, combine spices, coconut sugar, water, and salt.
Toast hazelnuts over the stove on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes until golden and fragrant.
Add sugar spice mixture and stir until it thickens and coats the nuts thoroughly.
Remove from heat and spread out onto parchment paper to let cool.
Couture Cabernet Cranberries
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup Cabernet
Add cranberries to Cabernet and let sit for at least 15 minutes to allow cranberries to absorb the Cabernet.